Student Researchers Contribute to ESOF 2016
Manchester have been hosting the 2016 European Science Open Forum this July with the Graphene NOWNANO CDT and NOWNANO DTC contrbuting to the celebrations.
Between the 23rd - 27th July 2016 researchers from the Graphene NOWNANO CDT and NOWNANO DTC have been engaging with the public during the week of ESOF 2016, celebrating the “Science in the City” festival in Manchester at various events. Have a look through some of the events below to see what our researchers have been getting up to:
- The Discover Graphene stall was at the Bluedot Festival at Jodrell Bank Observatory educating visitor on the wonders of graphene through demonstrations and conversations with students of hte CDT and DTC;
- Science is a revolution, an event organised by the European commission via the Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions, included a graphene workshop explaining what is graphene, how to make it, its properties and potential applications in biomedicine;
- Science in the City – Late saw the CDT and DTC researchers join the Museum of Science and Industry to become their Graphene Scientists in Residence for the night, sharing their knowledge of the wonder material and engaging with visitors on this adults-only night of live music and quantum theory, celebrating Science in the City week and the launch of the new exhibition on graphene and 2D materials at the Museum of Science and Industry, Manchester;
- The Pi: Platform for Investigation was exceptionally relocated from the Museum of Science and Industry to the Arndale Shopping Centre; for 2 days customers were able to discover all about “Tiny Science” and how to make graphene, using the “wonder box”, an educational resource funded by great Manchester Higher for which the centre developed a “Graphene Exfoliation” activity using graphite pencils and the simple scotch tape method;
- Two resarchers, Dr Cyrill Bussy and Dr Ivan Vera Marun, who contribute to the teaching on the Graphene NOWNANO CDT programme, held a discussion on Nanomaterials and medicine, the building blocks toward an enhanced human? considering how to drive technology forward while considering the impacts of ethics, law and policy.
For more information on the ESOF celebrations please refer to the ESOF 2016 website.